Italian Almond cookies, also called Amaretti, are a traditional Sicilian pastry, but common throughout Italy. You can make them only with almonds, or add a little aroma, such as lemon zest, as they do in Puglia, but also aroma of pistachios or orange zest.
These cookies are generally served as a dessert, but are also ideal for taking with a cup of hot coffee or tea. At any time of the day, they are delicious!
The ingredients for 30 Almond Cookies are:
500g/5.2 cups Almond Meal
300g/1.33 cups caster sugar
5 egg whites
1 x bottle almond essence (1.07 Oz)
The process to prepare Italian Almond Cookies is:
1. Separate 5 egg whites from the yolk in a bowl and mix well.
2. Once mixed, add the almond essence and beat gently again to mix thoroughly.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour and sugar.
4. Pour the egg white mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon.
5. Once everything has started to come together, knead with your hands and make sure everything mixes well.
6. Now you can let the amaretti mix sit for at least an hour in the fridge, or overnight if you want.
7. Once the dough is ready, prepare a cookie sheet and spread baking paper on top. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius/356 F.
8. Use a spoon to scoop up a large amount of the mixture, roll it with the palm of your hand, and turn it into a ball.
9. Place the ball gently in a bowl of icing sugar.
10. Coat each amaretti ball with icing sugar and then gently place it on the baking sheet.
11. Line up the balls, making sure not to put them too close together.
12. Once the tray is completely full, with enough space between each, gently flatten the balls by hand. This will create some cracks and provide the perfect shape for your biscotti amaretti!
13. Sprinkle an additional pinch of icing sugar on all sides before placing them in the oven for approx. 15 minutes.
And ready! Let the amaretti cool down and serve the cookies with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate!
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN ALMOND COOKIES
And that's all! If you liked this recipe, please share it 👇 Thank you!