Bucatini is a type of pasta that is shaped like a large hollow spaghetti. And the amatriciana sauce is an Italian sauce used to flavor pasta. Its name derives from the small town of Amatrice in the Lazio region near Abruzzo.
The amatriciana sauce is made up of sautéed guanciale with dry white wine, tomato and cured sheep cheese. It is customary to cook bucatini or macaroni with this sauce, although the municipality of Amatrice defends the exclusive use of spaghetti as a way of preserving the original recipe.
Let's see how to cook this delicious typical Italian food!
The ingredients for 2-3 servings are:
250 gr of Bucatini pasta
250 gr of guanciale (pork cheek)
400 gr of Mutti peeled tomatoes
Extra virgin olive oil
½ glass of white wine
5L of water
The process to prepare Bucatini all'Amatriciana is:
1. Cut the guanciale into short, thin strips.
2. Drizzle a little oil in a frying pan and heat it up.
3. Once the oil is lukewarm, add the guanciale to the pan and let it crisp slightly, stirring occasionally.
4. Add ½ glass of white wine and mix until it evaporates.
5. Open a can of peeled tomatoes and pour the contents into a bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the large tomatoes.
6. Add grated pepper to the sauce, along with dried chili and a handful of grated Roman sheep cheese. Mix well together.
7. Once a small amount of liquid remains in the pan, add the sauce mixture and mix.
8. Let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes.
9. Boil 5L of water in a large saucepan and once done, add a generous pinch of rock salt.
10. Cook the Bucatini pasta al dente.
11. Once the pasta is done, strain well and add it to the pan.
With a wooden spoon, fry the sauce throughout the pasta so that it is impregnated with flavors.
How to make Bucatini all'Amatriciana
How to serve:
1. Serve a portion of the Bucatini all'Amatriciana pasta in the center of a colored plate.
2. Make sure there is enough guanciale on the board. If not, add more! and sprinkle with a generous amount of grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
And that's all! If you liked this recipe, please share it 👇 Thank you!